The history of Wiehler Gobelin

In 1893 Jacob Wiehler established a company for embroidery in Berlin. By advertising in Germany, Austria, the Balkan Peninsula and southern Russia he received many orders.
The first catalog was published; it contained cushions, blankets, wall-hangings and gobelin picutres. This pictures were Delft motifs embroidered with one color. They were done with the same charts used today. In 1914 a catalog with 72 pages was published.

The years during the first world war (1914-1918) were very difficult and by the end oft he war the company came to a stillstand. It was not before 1928, after the inflation, that a new catalog with 84 pages was put on the market. In 1933, on account of the 40th anniversary „The Lord’s Supper“ by Leonardo da Vinci was created and has been one of the most interesting and demanding pictures since then. The beginning oft he second world war was very difficult again and only some trade connections to Yugoslavia and Bulgaria could be sustained.

In 1945, during the last days of the war, the company was completely destroyde by bombs. Fortunately, the documents for the charts and all floss had been brought to the owner’s private quarters an could be saved. After the war the materials were brought from Berlin to Buxtehude near Hamburg, and old clients started to order material and floss again. This was the new beginning.

In 1970, Dr. Rudolf Wiehler, meanwhile 72 years old, sold the company. The new owner wished to publish a new catalog including all charts which had not been printed for years.

In 1972 the first catalog, including all the old charts was issued. With a new technology the charts were improved and left nothing to be desired. The floss was dyed with new colors and new motifs were created. Clients, who already had done several picutres, came with new orders. The company also placed ads in Europe and overseas stating the new ownership. Over the years the company expanded rapidly and new headquarters had to be found.

Since 1975 the company was located at Stader Street 32 in Buxtehude in the nothern part of Germany. During the last years the company set a high value on creating delicate and fine quality. A good example were two icons in petit point embroidery. In the meantime the collection was expanded by other precious icons.
Clients also have the opportunity to embroider several pieces as miniatures on a special kind of fabric. By embroidering 14 stitches to 2.5 inches this is truly a piece of art.